Facebook was built to help people connect and share, and over the last decade our tools have played a critical part in changing how people around the world communicate with one another. With over two billion people using the service and more than fifty offices around the globe, a career at Facebook offers countless ways to make an impact in a fast growing organization.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial, self-starting public policy expert who can combine a passion for technology’s potential to create economic opportunity with deep relationships across multiple policy influencer groups in Nigeria. The role will support the Public Policy Director, Africa, and will work to amplify the economic impact of Facebook’s platforms with policy influencers, alongside a team that is dealing with some of the most interesting public policy challenges of our times.
This role is a 11 month contract opportunity, and can be based in Lagos or Abuja, with significant travel across Nigeria.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Ensure maximum policy impact of Facebook’s economic impact initiatives
- Identify (and continuously update) key policy influencers, which include policy makers, civil society, academic institutions, etc.
- Create and execute (in partnership with XFN team) focused policy influencer engagement strategy to ensure policy influencer participation in/buy-in/knowledge of activations/events
- Work closely with the Facebook Africa communications lead, and with local agencies to ensure that comms strategy/execution continues to be aligned with maximum policy impact
- Lead on creating/maintaining a database of stories and other engagement materials for policy influencers
- Build and maintain relationships with other key partners including training institutions, agencies and more.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for Facebook's economic impact initiatives in Nigeria, including working with Africa Policy and Communications teams to strategically engage at relevant conferences and events
- Work with Facebook Policy Programs leads to manage local agency/ consultant
- Manage deliverables across 5-6 different programs
- Build and manage monitoring and evaluation framework for each component of Facebook's economic impact initiatives
- Work with a cross-functional team (Policy, Partnerships, Legal, Marketing, Operations and Communications) — to ensure successful execution of all programs
- Minimum 7-10 years professional experience
- Excellent understanding of Nigeria's policy landscape (state, federal, agency level, as well as with non governmental orgs/leaders), pre-existing strong relationships across multiple groups of policy influencers, ability to engage senior policy leaders
- Ability to work independently, superior communication and organisational skills
- Experience in organising community events and developing partnerships in Nigeria
- Basic understanding of the digital marketing landscape a plus
- Strong interest in Nigeria's policy context and the role of digital skills in economic development
- Established relationships with other key stakeholders across various sectors in Nigeria including business, education, youth development, skills development and entrepreneurship
- Ability to clearly identify new opportunities to align key partners with Facebook's economic impact initiatives
- Integrity, and an entrepreneurial spirit and drive to truly build Facebook's policy impact across Nigeria
- Strong strategic and creative thinker
Length of Position: Full Time. 11 months initial contract.